My friend brings this dish quite often and it is mouth-wateringly delicious. It is an amazing way to transform the simple dal.
|Tomato Dal with rotis in my newly acquired soup bowls|
- 1/2 cup toor dal
- 2 tbsp masoor dal
- 2 large tomatoes
- A tiny piece of tamarind
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin/jeera seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped onions
- 2 pods of garlic crushed
- A pinch of hing/asafoetida
How I made it :
- Pick, wash and soak the toor and masoor dal for ten minutes.
- In a pressure cooker, add the dal, sufficient water, tomatoes chopped, tamarind, salt and turmeric powder.
- Let this boil for one whistle on high and about 4-5 whistles on low.
- When pressure releases, heat one tsp oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When the mustard stops spluttering, add the onions and garlic.Fry till onions are translucent.
- Mix the dals well and add to the tadka.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve.
We had it with rotis and stuffed capsicum. This recipe is a definite keeper. You can avoid the tamarind, if you don't like the sourness it imparts.