Leftovers is something we face from time to time. This time I had leftover cabbage dal. I was torn between making dal parathas or trying something different. I am just back from home and keep thinking of mom's droolworthy cutlets which she sells at her cafe. So I thought of trying out a dal cutlet. Here's my upcycled dal cutlet recipe. Do try it and let me know how it turned out.
- 1 cup leftover dal - I had dal with cabbage but used it all the same
- 1 boiled potato mashed
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste - optional, don't add if already present in your dal
- 1 chopped green chilli
- 1/4 tsp garam masala - optional
- 1/4 tsp amchur powder
- Maida/Corn flour - enough to make the mixture come together
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Breadcrumbs - 1 cup
- Mix all the ingredients from 1 to 8 together.
- Ensure that the mixture is not watery. I usually make my dal a bit thick and leftover dal does get thick. It should be like the same consistency of may be the aloo mixture for aloo paratha as in the picture shown.
- Heat oil.
- Make small balls out of the mixture.
- Cover with bread crumbs.
- Shape into any desired shape. I made small discs as tikkis.
- Fry on medium heat till dark golden brown on both sides.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce or pudina chutney