Here's the recipe for the Khara Pongal that I tried from here this pongal 2013.
- 1 cup sona masoori rice
- 1/2 cup moong dal
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp whole pepper corns
- 1 inch ginger julienned
- 3 cups of water
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- A handful of cashew nuts
- A sprig of curry leaves
- A pinch of hing
- Salt to taste
How I made it :
- Soak rice and dal together for 30 minutes.
- Pressure cook rice+dal+cumin seeds+ginger+pepper corns+salt to taste on low for 15 minutes.
- In a pan, heat ghee.
- Add cumin seeds, hing, curry leaves.
- When cumin seeds crackle add cashew nuts and fry till light golden brown.
- Add dal+rice mixture and serve with sambar or chutney.
I served mine with mom-in-law's arachavittu sambar.